A pack of teens tried to kill a homeless man in upstate New York in a “heinous’’ social media-inspired attack, and the victim is not expected to survive, according to authorities and kin.
Five boys between the ages of 13 and 15 punched and kicked 45-year-old Peter Bennedum on Monday night, leaving him unconscious with severe injuries to his head and body, the City of Binghamton police said.
Bennedum’s family members set up a GoFundMe page after the horror attack, saying they need money for his funeral, as they expect to take him off life support in the coming days.
“We are moving forward with burial and funeral plans. Peter will be removed from life support in the next few days,” wrote Dianne Galliher, the organizer.

“This senseless act has left our family devastated and facing the unimaginable pain of losing someone we love so deeply. Peter was a kind soul who, despite his struggles, always tried to help others. His life was cut short in a way no one should ever experience, and our hearts are broken.”
Police Capt. Matthew Hodnik called the assault a “disgusting” and “heinous act” connected to a viral trend.
“There is a recent push in social media trends that [involves] recording attacks of unhoused or narcotic or drug-addicted individuals on the street,” Hodnik said, according to WBNG.
“Juveniles, to think this is acceptable or something to potentially be proud of, is just absolutely disgusting.”
The five suspects — all Binghamton residents — were identified about 24 hours after the attack and taken into custody, according to authorities.
Two 15-year-old boys and two 14-year-old boys were charged with second-degree attempted murder, while a 13-year-old boy was released to a guardian for now, with criminal charges expected to be filed against him as the probe continues, police said.
Their identities were not released because of their ages. Each suspect is being held at a juvenile facility in Syracuse.

“What happened earlier this week is abhorrent and inexplicable,” Binghamton Mayor Jared Kraham said in a statement.
“Our community is left grappling with how these young people could carry out such a heinous act of violence. I’ve been at a loss for words these last few days.”
A Post call to the Broome County District Attorney’s Office was not returned.
Resident Joseph Henry, 20, who resides near the crime scene, blamed the children’s parents for their alleged actions while pushing local officials to do more for the homeless population.
“Where is their parents to teach them and guide them?” Wagner said, according to WBNG. “With dangerous teenagers and stuff in this world, we just need more police.”


