in

Remaining bodies of missing tourists found in ‘shark cave’ after Maldives’ worst-ever diving disaster

remaining-bodies-of-missing-tourists-found-in-‘shark-cave’-after-maldives’-worst-ever-diving-disaster
Remaining bodies of missing tourists found in ‘shark cave’ after Maldives’ worst-ever diving disaster

The bodies of four remaining Italian divers were found Monday in the Maldives, four days after they went missing while exploring an underwater cave.

An elite team of three expert divers from Finland located the bodies of Monica Montefalcone, 52, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, 20, Muriel Oddenino, 31, and Federico Gualtieri, 31, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) Coast Guard vessel in the Vaavu Atoll.

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF)’s Coast Guard during a search and recovery operation in the Vaavu Atoll, Maldives, 16 May 2026. SOPHIA NASIF/EPA/Shutterstock

Monica Montefalcone, an Italian scuba diver, on a boat with rocky cliffs in the background.

Monica Montefalcone, 52, is among the 4 missing divers found Monday. Greenpeace via AP

Maldives National Defense Force (MNDF) Coast Guard vessel in the Vaavu Atoll.

Montefalcone’s daughter, Giorgia Sommacal, was also found. Giorgia Sommacal / Instagram

The group was found inside Thinwana Kandu cave, also known as “shark cave,” by the squad, which was assembled in 48 hours by the group Divers Alert Network Europe.

The body of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, 44, was recovered on Friday.

The causes of death for the five have not yet been established, Italy’s foreign ministry said.

A recovery mission to bring the bodies back to the surface will take place over the next few days, authorities said.

Muriel Oddenino, a young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a white

Muriel Oddenino’s body was discovered in the “shark cave” along with her group. Muriel Oddenino / Facebook

The elite diving trio comprised of Sami Paakkarinen, Jenni Westerlund, and Patrik Grönqvist, arrived in the Indian Ocean nation on Sunday to help local authorities with the search.

The divers, who previously took part in the successful rescue of a Thai soccer team in 2018, were called in after local authorities were unable to provide the necessary equipment to reach the depths of 500 feet required to enter the caves.

Federico Gualtieri posing on rocks by the sea with a coastal town in the background.

Federico Gualtieri was recovered along with the others. Federico Gualtieri

On Saturday, a Maldivian search diver, Sgt. Major Mohamed Mahudhee became the sixth victim of the Maldives’ worst-ever diving disaster when he died in his attempts to locate the missing tourists.

A further 20 other Italian tourists were on board the Duke of York yacht when it began its doomed mission to the diving location on Thursday.

They have all returned to Italy following the terrifying ordeal.

Leave a Reply

teacher-busted-for-sex-with-student-in-classroom-after-another-student-saw-them-together:-cops

Teacher busted for sex with student in classroom after another student saw them together: cops

uk-police-apologize-to-‘father-ted’-creator-graham-linehan-after-arresting-him-for-anti-trans-post

UK police apologize to ‘Father Ted’ creator Graham Linehan after arresting him for anti-trans post