in

Pete Alonso won’t muster any spite ahead of upcoming Citi Field return

pete-alonso-won’t-muster-any-spite-ahead-of-upcoming-citi-field-return
Pete Alonso won’t muster any spite ahead of upcoming Citi Field return

BALTIMORE — Though their recent surge may help the Mets avoid going down as perhaps the most disappointing team in franchise history, Pete Alonso is a few hours south, having another season in which he’s been among the league’s best hitters.

And after a sluggish start with the Orioles, the first baseman has his new team in wild-card contention, and he is on the verge of another 30-homer season.

With a trip back to Citi Field less than a month away, Alonso said Wednesday he’s not seeking revenge on his former team, which didn’t want him back on a multiyear deal.

“Honestly, for me, nothing is spiteful,’’ Alonso said before hitting his 29th homer of the season, a solo shot, in Baltimore’s game against the Yankees. “During the free agent process, the Orioles were the front-runners the entire time. For me to be in a place where they see me here not for the short term but a long-term period of time, [and] not just a valuable piece from a production standpoint but a cornerstone of the franchise, I want to make good on their belief in me. I do that by playing well and helping win ballgames. It’s as simple as that.”

The Mets’ plan to replace Alonso and Brandon Nimmo with Jorge Polanco and Marcus Semien in the infield, and Luis Robert Jr. in the outfield, proved to be a disastrous miscalculation.

The team has stunningly gotten better following the trades of valuable pieces like Clay Holmes, Luke Weaver and other members of the bullpen.

Baltimore Orioles designated hitter Pete Alonso runs home to score a run.
Orioles DH Pete Alonso runs home to score a run during the sixth inning of a game against the Rays earlier this season. IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters Connect

Alonso has kept an eye on his former team and said he’s pleased Sean Manaea is pitching better, and Francisco Lindor is healthy and doing well.

But the series against his old team is too far away for him to give it much thought, especially as the Orioles try to get to the playoffs.

“We play the New York Yankees today in a huge divisional battle,’’ Alonso said. “Obviously, [the series versus the Mets] is not at the top of my priority list right now. I want to focus on today and every team we’re playing. I know it’s coming down the road pretty soon, but we have business to take care of every single day.”

Tampa Bay Rays' Chandler Simpson slides safely back to first base as Baltimore Orioles' Pete Alonso catches a pickoff throw.
Rays’ Chandler Simpson dives back safely to first ahead of the pickoff throw to the Orioles’ Pete Alonso. AP Photo/Chris O’Meara

Since the end of April, few have done that better than Alonso — just three players have an OPS higher than Alonso’s .915 over his past 96 games. He credits the improvement to getting comfortable in his new surroundings, as well as adapting to fatherhood.

“It’s a big change,’’ Alonso said. “Now, things are firing on all cylinders.”

The Orioles opened Wednesday a game out of the final AL wild-card spot.

“It’s a really exciting time,’’ Alonso said. “Any team where you’re only a game out of a playoff spot deep into August, a lot of people will take it. We haven’t played our best baseball collectively, but I feel as we’ve gained some momentum moving along in the second half, our best baseball is ahead of us. … We’ve done a really good job being resilient, not just individually, but as a group. I’m really proud of how the team has fought and faced adversity. It’s been really fun to be a part of.” 

Leave a Reply

seahawks-‘probably’-would-have-cut-terrion-arnold-if-new-corner-was-on-roster-before-kidnapping-arrest

Seahawks ‘probably’ would have cut Terrion Arnold if new corner was on roster before kidnapping arrest

diamondbacks-gm-breaks-silence-on-ketel-marte’s-mystery-absence

Diamondbacks GM breaks silence on Ketel Marte’s mystery absence