in

Dad of slain football teen claims Mamdani is failing to keep NYers safe — and has yet to make this one important gesture

dad-of-slain-football-teen-claims-mamdani-is-failing-to-keep-nyers-safe-—-and-has-yet-to-make-this-one-important-gesture
Dad of slain football teen claims Mamdani is failing to keep NYers safe — and has yet to make this one important gesture

The heartbroken dad of a teen football star shot dead outside a Bronx McDonald’s angrily claimed Monday that Mayor Zohran Mamdani is failing to keep New Yorkers safe — and has yet to offer him condolences.

Bryan Corley, whose slain 16-year-old son Christopher Redding was a freshman grid standout at John F. Kennedy High School, told The Post he now has to look over his shoulder because only one of up to four suspects in his teen’s murder has been busted.

A photo of Christopher Redding of the Bronx.

Christopher Redding, 16, was a football standout at John F. Kennedy High School. Facebook / Winnie Eng

Bryan Corley, father of Christopher Redding, standing in front of a red door.

Bryan Corley, Christopher’s dad, said he now fears for his family’s life because some of the suspects are still out there. Georgett Roberts/ NY Post

“Right now, we fear for our safety,” Corley said. “It’s just too much. We can’t even grieve in peace.

“They’re still out there, and nothing is really being done,” the dad claimed of the suspects still in the wind.

“Everything is a lie. Mayor Mamdani saying that the police is doing a good job. They’re not doing a good job. It’s disgusting,” Corey raged. “The things my family has to endure right now and go through. Everybody is just using my son for a meal ticket, a move-up for their goodness.

“Even the mayor,” he said. “How can you make a statement when you haven’t even came and speak to the victims? How can you hold a conference and you haven’t even spoken to us?”

Asked if Mamdani or his team has reached out at all to the family, Corley responded “Hell, no.”

The mayor, quizzed by reporters the day after the slaying about the recent string of shootings in the borough, called the crimes “heartbreaking and horrific.

“I am thankful for the work of the NYPD not only in responding to them but also in the actions they are taking to ensure that we work to prevent them in the future,” Mamdani said.

Mayor Mamdani announcing the appointment of Nadia Shihata as DOI Commissioner.

Mayor Zohran Mamdani has failed to protect New Yorkers, the slain teen’s dad said. Gabriella Bass for NY Post

NYPD Crime Scene Unit investigators collecting evidence at a shooting scene where one teenager was killed and two others wounded.

Sources said four reputed gangbangers opened fire on a group of teens outside a McDonald’s in The Bronx. Kyle Mazza

Redding was with two young friends — a 15-year-old boy and a 13-year-old girl — outside the McDonald’s at Broadway and West 238th Street in Kingsbridge shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday when a group of gun-toting thugs approached.

The suspects, who law-enforcement sources described as possible gangbangers, asked Redding and his friends if they were members of the Eight Block, a subset of the Bloods, sources said.

Redding and his friends are not affiliated with any gangs, law-enforcement sources said — and told the suspects that.

A dispute ensued, and bullets rang out, with Redding struck in the back and mortally wounded, while his younger friends were each hit in the right leg, police and sources said.

Four individuals walk on a sidewalk next to a street with snow piles and parked cars, with a

The NYPD is asking for help to track down these suspects in the case. NYPD

A police officer stands in the doorway of a store cordoned off with orange

Police have caught only one of the up to four suspects in last week’s slaying. Kyle Mazza

On Saturday, police picked up one of the suspects, who has yet to be publicly identified.

The 17-year-old suspect was arraigned on murder, attempted-murder and gun charges, the NYPD announced over the weekend.

Sources told The Post he is not believed to be the one who fired the shots that killed Redding — with the accused killer and his other cohorts still on the loose.

Corley also also railed against the state’s Raise the Age law, which boosted the age of criminal responsibility from 15 to 18, which means the accused gunman who was nabbed will be treated as an adolescent offender whose identify is protected and kept from public scrutiny.

Still, because the crime was violent, even suspects under age 18 face the same potential sentences as adults.

Officials at City Hall and the NYPD did not respond to Post requests for comment about Corley’s criticism.

Additional reporting by Kyle Schnitzer and Craig McCarthy

Leave a Reply

long-island-town-blocks-rich-locals-from-building-pickleball-courts-over-noise-nuisance

Long Island town blocks rich locals from building pickleball courts over noise nuisance

long-island-rep-laura-gillen-faces-uphill-battle-in-primary-after-voting-for-ice-funding

Long Island Rep Laura Gillen faces uphill battle in primary after voting for ICE funding