New York Jets cornerback Kris Boyd, who was shot in the abdomen during a dispute outside a Manhattan restaurant in the early hours of Nov. 16, is back in the hospital for “health issues,” just days after he was released for treatment, the 29-year-old Texas alum revealed on social media this week.
No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting. However, New York Police Department detectives identified a possible suspect last week, according to ABC News.
Advertisement
“The last that we heard is he had an issue and he had to go back into the hospital,” Jets head coach Aaron Glenn told reporters on Friday, per ESPN. “But other than that, I need to figure that out.”
Boyd took to his Instagram on Wednesday night to provide an update on his situation.
“Please bear with me, I haven’t been in communication much,” Boyd wrote in an Instagram story, according to The Athletic. “I was released but had to return to the hospital due to my health issues.”
Kris Boyd talks to media during training camp at Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on July 28, 2025 in Florham Park, New Jersey. (Photo by Ishika Samant/Getty Images)
(Ishika Samant via Getty Images)
Boyd then thanked everyone who has sent thoughts and prayers his way, per ABC News.
Advertisement
It’s not yet clear why exactly Boyd was hospitalized again. He originally underwent multiple procedures at Bellevue Hospital to remove the bullet, which had traveled to his right lung.
The shooting took place in front of the Sei Less restaurant on West 38th Street in Manhattan. It appeared to result from a verbal altercation between Boyd and another group “chirping” about their clothes, police sources told ABC News, which also reported Boyd was with two other Jets players and a friend at the time.
Those other Jets players have been identified as linebacker Jamien Sherwood and wide receiver Irvin Charles.
Boyd was initially listed in critical but stable condition after being shot at 2 a.m. that Sunday morning, a bit more than 48 hours after the Jets played the New England Patriots on “Thursday Night Football.”
Advertisement
On Nov. 19, an NYPD spokesman upgraded Boyd’s status to stable condition, and Boyd posted an encouraging update of his own on Instagram:
“God is real, God is powerful!,” Boyd wrote.
“I’m sorry I have no words at the moment..Just grateful!
“I’m coming along, starting to breathe on my own now. Sincerely appreciate everyone!”
Since, however, undisclosed medical complications have put Boyd back in the hospital.
This is his first season with the Jets, although he was placed on season-ending injured reserve in training camp with a shoulder injury.
The former seventh-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings signed a one-year, $1.6 million deal with New York this past offseason following a two-season stint with the Houston Texans.

