Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency in Orange County on Saturday after a hazardous chemical incident at an aerospace facility forced the evacuation of tens of thousands of residents.
The emergency proclamation allows California to ramp up its response as crews continue scrambling to contain the dangerous situation and assist displaced families across the region.

“The safety of Orange County residents is the top priority,” Newsom wrote in a statement. “We are mobilizing every state resource available to support local responders and make sure the community has what they need to stay safe.”
Under the order, the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services and other state agencies have been directed to support Orange County and local jurisdictions dealing with the fallout from the incident.
The declaration also unlocks additional emergency powers and resources, including the possible use of state-owned properties and fairgrounds as temporary shelters for evacuated residents if needed.
California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services Director Caroline Thomas Jacobs said the state is “committed to a unified, whole-of-government response focused on keeping our communities safe.”
Officials have not yet said when residents may be allowed to return home as emergency crews continue monitoring the hazardous conditions surrounding the aerospace facility.
Orange County Fire Authority Division Chief Craig Covey gave an update Saturday morning, saying the tank had increased from 77 degrees to 90 degrees in temperature after they incorrectly measured the outside of the tank with a drone instead of the actual liquid temperature.
“Yesterday afternoon I did report that we had some positive intel and that the tanks were stable, and we were keeping the temperature cool. And actually we thought we were reducing it a little bit,” Covey said.
***CRITICAL INCIDENT UPDATE***
Unified Incident Commander Craig Covey providing this morning‘s update. pic.twitter.com/er52WXgh3J— OCFA (@OCFireAuthority) May 23, 2026
“Unfortunately, I have to say those temperatures we are doing is via drone, doing readings on the external of the vessel. It’s not covering the interior temperatures inside of what actually [is in the] liquid,” he added.
He said the liquid is increasing by a degree an hour on average. Fire officials expect the tank to either rupture or potentially explode. If the tank explodes, it could damage nearby properties and potentially ignite a fire.
Orange County Rep. Derek Tran said in a Saturday press conference that he’s concerned about the other tanks if the one does explode.
“The additional part to all of this that complicates things are the two other tanks that are located in there. While those tanks are not failing, they contain 30-something thousand additional gallons of the same toxic chemicals. So, we are watching everything,” he said.
About 40,000 residents have evacuated so far, and about 15% of those contacted by officials have decided to stay home. State and local officials have urged everyone in the area to evacuate.
First responders aren’t ready to give up quite yet, though they may have to if the temperature rises too much on the tank.
“There is a lot of anxiety over this,” he said. “Just need you [to] understand we are not giving up and accepting the fact that this thing failed. We will try to find a solution. We’re working 24 hours a day today to do it. With members down range last night at 4 in the morning, we can do everything we can to mitigate this, protect your residences, protect our environment, and get you back home.”
The chemical that could be released, methyl methacrylate, is used in products found in nail salons, barber shops, and other similar settings.
Covey said it is a “highly toxic substance” that can “impact the respiratory system, cause skin irritation and eye irritation.”
Dr. Regina Chinsio-Kwong said at a news conference Friday that it can cause “significant irritation in the lungs, the nasal passages,” along with nausea and dizziness. Heavy doses of the substance could “cause severe respiratory distress and hospitalization.”
Disneyland Resort and Knott’s Berry Farm said they are monitoring the situation, according to the Orange County Register. Both parks said they have not faced an impact.
Fire officials are still working through solutions, including cooling the tank with water to avoid pressure from building up, but are also preparing in case it ruptures or explodes. They say the only people at risk are the first responders, who could pull out if the situation is deemed too hazardous.
This is a developing story.
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!


