A struggling Napa Valley wine brand got a royal revival this week after one of its Chardonnays was poured for King Charles III and Queen Camilla during a lavish state dinner at the White House.
Newton Vineyard in St. Helena said it was “honored” that its 2022 “Unfiltered” Chardonnay was one of three wines served Tuesday night at the dinner for the British monarch and queen consort, according to The Press Democrat.
“We could not be more honored that our Newton Chardonnay was served at this prestigious event,” Newton managing partner Eric Seuthe told the outlet.
The dinner was part of Charles and Camilla’s four-day visit to the US, which aimed to celebrate American independence and help improve US-British relations.
Seuthe said he has no idea how the White House selected the wine, which was made before he and business partner Nick Livanos purchased the battered Napa brand from French luxury giant LVMH last year.
He said he remains committed to preserving “the tradition of excellence of Newton.”
Newton Vineyard, founded in 1977 by California wine trailblazer Peter Newton, was nearly lost during the devastating 2020 Glass Fire.
Despite a $10 million investment in rebuilding and fire protection, LVMH closed the doors on the vast 487-acre Spring Mountain estate in February 2025.
Just six months later, Seuthe and Livanos acquired the nearly 50-year-old label with plans to restore it while producing premium wines at more affordable prices.
“Right now, we are replanting 13 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon and other Bordeaux varieties,” Seuthe explained. “Our goal is to get back up to the 75 acres as is allotted for the property.”
The new owners are bringing the estate back to life by restoring its wine caves, rebuilding tasting rooms, and planning a grand reopening of the Spring Mountain property by 2027.
“We’re just two wine lovers who always loved Newton and feel the brand needed to be restored.”
The wine industry in northern California is facing broader economic pressures as businesses choose to consolidate or pursue other options.
Some local owners are selling their wineries to large companies or closing entirely, seeking to leave the down-trending sector. The wine industry is in an economic downturn as boomers, a critical demographic for wine, die out.
Local government leaders are trying to salvage the declining industry, recently rolling out a new tourism model to increase engagement with wineries and other businesses.
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!






